Sunday, February 16, 2020

Mustard & other mid February Happenings

Greetings

Winter weather was back.  We got a little snow.  Then we got a little more snow.  Then there was lots of snow that had to be moved.  I got my spring haircut & felt like I lost at least 5 pounds of hair.  I got my favorite candy for Valentines day, Bridge Mix.
The snowplow up ahead clearing my path as I drive to work.


Grandkids

The Grands got some winter weather at their house too.  They had a good time playing outside & getting their Valentine boxes made.


Cooking

Kevin made our Sunday Snowday chocolate gravy & I made the biscuits.  We had leftovers for several days of breakfasts.  We mostly make the chocolate gravy on Sundays when it snows.  I roasted some carrots to go with the last of the cowboy beans & hotdogs.  I had cut up the carrots for us to nibble on raw for lunches & snacks.  We weren't eating them much.  We gobbled the roasted ones up in no time.
I dipped them in ketchup & ranch dressing.  Both dips were good
along with just eating them plain.


Gardening

The garden got a another good saturation of snow.  Hopefully that will help get more moisture down deep in the dirt.


Kevin worked on moving snow at home, work & for others
most the weekend so, we didn't get to go on a hiking adventure.


Cleaning

I vacuumed downstairs after the putting away of the Christmas totes & the cleaning up of the extra bedroom had been done.  Also there was little lents & strings all around on the floor from the shaking out of laundry that was hung on the clothesline to dry.  I also started filling a box that will be sent to Good Will.  

Who is not fascinated with icicles?



Health & Weight Maintenance

I stretched & walked in the house most every morning.  I walked to work most days then walked some extra during breaks & lunch.  I walked up & down the stairs extra times while cleaning & also just to be doing to get in more walking exercise.  My sciatic nerve was still giving me some leg pain so, I treaded easily while still trying to keep up my routine.  

I might have ate cookies for a snack after supper even though my goal for this month was to not eat any snacks after supper.  Kevin brought home some leftover homemade cookies from work.  We couldn't let the cookies go to waste, now could we?  

Kevin gets cramps in his legs quite often.  He said he had read to take a spoonful of mustard & the cramps would be gone instantly.  Now, he is not a mustard eater, none at all.  The time came that he got cramps, in both legs at the same time.  The pain just would not ease up.  He decided to try the mustard thing.  He ate a spoonful, smacked his tongue several times getting rid of the taste then said the cramps were gone.  We both were wondering how it worked.  I searched online & this is what I found -  How does a teaspoon of mustard cure muscle cramps.  You can click on that link if you're interested in reading about how it works.  

Looking out the dinning room window while doing my
stretching & walking & up & down the stairs in the house.




Frugality, Savings & Spending

I spent $33.77 at the grocery store.  I changed my shopping day to Tuesday instead of Thursday so, I would have a better opportunity to get sale items before they were all sold out.  I was able to get everything on my list & got only the items on my list.  I got strawberries that were the fruit special.  Also there was cereal on sale. I got a couple boxes to have for breakfast (& supper) with the strawberries.  I got cheddar dogs (Johnsonville Bratwurst) with the store's 2 week coupon.  We like to have those Bratwurst with veggies from the garden cooked on the grill in aluminum foil.  The cheddar dogs went into the freezer for later.  I got some other sale items that we liked to keep stocked with extras in the pantry such as cooking oil & granola type bars for lunches.

I got the stuff I ordered online from Walmart.  The downside to ordering can goods is, some of the cans get dented in shipping & sometimes items are missing.  I got a refund for the missing items though I would of rather had the items replaced.  I could reorder, but reordering just those items would not be enough to get the free shipping.  I didn't want to order $20 worth of more stuff that I didn't need at the time.
The toilet paper came in a huge box that I'm saving for the Grands to make
playhouse.  I made the Grands some balls from the long strips of paper packing 
material.  Kevin & I tossed one of the balls back & forth a few times.  It was fun!



Social & Community Service Activities

Kevin & I went to the Lions Club monthly community bingo.  I helped set up in the morning before bingo & before going to work.  I cleaned some while waiting till time for me to go to work.  I swept the floors, wiped tables & put away cups left from the littles wrestling team practice.  During bingo I took the money, kept up with the card count & helped with snacks.  Kevin was the number caller.  We both helped clean up afterwards.


Christmas/Valentine cactus blooming.


Other Activities

I completed the Holiday Stamps puzzle & there was a piece missing.  I've had that puzzle for years so, no telling where & when the piece went missing.  Kevin & both looked for several days for the missing piece & it was not found.  I started another puzzle called Farm Life.  I also finished up reading the book On The Banks Of Plum Creek & started the next book in the Little House series By The Shores Of Silver Lake.  I also started reading The Little House Cookbook.  The book has frontier foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's books that I've been reading.  I plan to try some of the recipes.  I searched for words in my giant word search book.  I read blogs & organized pictures on my computer.  Kevin & I watched some more episodes of Roseanne & a movie called My Giant on Vudu.  We watched more episodes of Medicine Women on DVD.

Having a picnic out at the lake.  We got burgers & fries using a gift certificate
we got for Christmas.  We sat in the warm truck overlooking the lake, ate the 
food & talked mostly about going fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment