Friday, June 23, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share


Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia.  How you doing this 25th week of 2023?  We went to a yard sale & got a bunch of good stuff for $10.  It was my Sunday to work so I was up at 3:30 am to get that task completed. We made lists, went shopping, ordered a canopy & packed stuff in the camper.  We moved rocks.  We roasted strawberries.  Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & we'll talk more, come walk with me...
*  Kevin got that tote of spray paint at the yard sale that included this polyurethan that we needed to finish the headboard/shoe rack/storage unit for the camper.  I got a cutting board that we needed for the camper, a retractable dog leash & a couple of frisbees that I put in the camper.  I got hangers we needed for our closet & I also got several DVDs.  Kevin got some other workshop type things, I don't remember what all.



The headboard/shoe rack/storage unit installed in the camper.  We needed pillowcases
for the pillows I got to go in the camper, so I ordered us Mickey & Mini mouse for
the fun & cuteness of it.  


Rose likes to be in on the action
when there is opportunity.

*  There were lots of rocks around the big ol camper that didn't need to be there anymore since the camper is gone.  We're making the covered shed a place to park the tractor, jeep & camper then I'll be able to park my car under the garage.  Several bucket loads of rocks were moved to the azalea garden behind the house.  Several more loads went along the creek. 
Working together to put
rocks in the bucket.

When there are lots of rocks, there
has to be rock stacking involved & it
made a good decoration for the garden.

Kevin dumped the rocks & I started
placing them around the edge.
        



 













*  We went exploring in the mountains to check out a camping spot & look for firewood.  Kevin got a permit to get trees that are down & dead to use for firewood.  The wild rhododendrons were blooming.  There was also a pink flower blooming.  I put the pink blooms out there to the plant identifiers to identify. 





Japanese spirea, Spiraea Japonica, Eupatorium, Spirea shrub, Joe pye,
Iron weed, Joe pye weed, Spirea.  If you recognize these blooms,
what would you call them?



We cooked our supper over the fire 
several evenings this week.  Have
you ever roasted a strawberry? Our
strawberries were picked fresh out
of the garden, dipped in marshmallow
cream then held over the fire for a
few moments to gently toast the
marshmallow cream.  Delicious! 


These are some of the things that's been going on around in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?


8 comments:

  1. I'd call those blooms iron weed or spirea. Well done with the headboard/ storage unit for your camper. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasting strawberries! This is brilliant. Strawberries dipped in marshmallow cream is on my camping to-do-list. Thanks for sharing that gem, Karen. Great coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the update! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I miss my strawberries especially now that I know I could dip them in marshmallow cream and roast them. Your idea made my bucket list! What a gorgeous area you live in. I hope you haven't been inundated in rain. I see on the news that it has reached GA. BTW, I think a pile of rocks called a cairn. We had a location in Tulare County, CA informally known by the old-timers as Cairn's Corner. I don't remember ever seeing the rocks, though! Interesting post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The headboard/storage is so clever! I've never roasted strawberries before but it sounds delicious when paired with dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are living my dream life! Or what was my dream life when I was younger and had more energy :-) Long-Suffering Husband and I went yard saling last weekend too but didn't find anything exciting.

    I've never tried roasting strawberries--brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that rock pile! We will have to try the strawberries but I usually like mine real cold.:)

    ReplyDelete