Friday, July 28, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share
Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia.  How you doing this 30th week of 2023?  I sat out on the front porch every morning having my coffee, watching the birds & admiring the beautiful lilies in bloom along with the zinnias, cosmos & marigolds.  Kevin participated in the Gun Club's Smallbore Rifle Silhouette Match & he fixed some more quail & chickens for the freezer.  Daughter's best friend surprised Daughter with a visit. Son-in-Law cooked up some of his most delicious smash burgers.  Oldest Grand came over & Kevin showed him how to change the oil in his car.  It's my birthday month so I'm sharing a little each week this month about how it was growing up in the mountains.  I made some of that cucumber bread I was talking about last week, I'll tell you how it came out. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & we'll talk more, come walk with me..


That's me, graduating high school.  Moma
made the dress. I received a certificate
 for perfect attendance for attending all
4 years of high school without missing a
 day.  I might have been late a few times & 
perhaps left early a few times but I was
there enough to be counted present
every day.
Moma gave me an outfit for my birthday. 
When I was a teen, Levis were my choice
 of jeans. Moma worked at the Lee plant
for many years, till it closed. Lees 
are now my choice of jeans.
  
Kevin got Domino's pizza & 
cheesy bread sticks for my
birthday supper.  He also got
cake & ice cream.



We put vanilla frosting on top,
the bread was pretty good.





















Son-in-Law & Best Friend's Boyfriend
cooking up the smash burgers.  The burgers
smell delicious!  Son-in-Law has an
awesome outdoor kitchen set up for
hosting cookouts.



































*  I made the cucumber bread recipe.  It wasn't pretty, but we ate it anyway.  I don't know if it was the almond flour that made it fall or that I opened the oven door & peeked at it while it was still cooking or what.  It rose beautifully, bubbled over & made a mess in the bottom of the oven then went kerflunk.  It seemed to be a little too oily too.







*  Daughter's Best Friend surprised Daughter with a surprise visit.  Daughter had no idea whatsoever that Best Friend was traveling the 16 hour drive for a visit. Son-in-Law invited us all down for burgers.  I made a squash casserole & took tomatoes, onions & cucumbers from out of the garden. 
Best Friend & Son-in-Law preparing
the hamburger meat. 


















*  Grand & Girlfriend came over for a visit.  Kevin showed Grand how to change the oil in his car & checked the brake pads & rotors.  Grand talk with us about his changing jobs & was looking for a place to rent to get out on his own.  Girlfriend recently started her 1st job & is going to the community college.  We went out to eat to celebrate both of their 18th birthdays & went for a jeep ride.  


Kevin strung up some beans
to make leather britches.
These are some of the things that's been going on around in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?
The eggs hatched in the bird nest in
the garden.








The lilies were so beautiful in bloom.  Moma gave me some tiger lily seeds, so I'll need
to get those planted.  It will be a few years before the seeds produce any blooms.


7 comments:

  1. Those lilies are gorgeous! It seems like you had a great week. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! You mentioned July birthdays last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun times in your neck of the woods. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've been enjoying some absolutely lovely summer days! Those tiger lily's are simply breathtaking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your weekend coffee share. Looks like you had a very good week. I enjoyed seeing photos of the young birds and bean strings. The daylilies are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun week. The stringing up beans for leather britches has me curious.

    ReplyDelete