Friday, September 4, 2026

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share


Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing? It's time to bring out my fall coffee cup, the soybeans are turning yellow on the way to Granny's house, another sign of fall. The begonias are really putting on a show. We went to Kevin's side of the family's get together. School started back & I assisted Daughter with a Meet Up at the Park. Kevin hauled gravel, pushed dirt & burned brush. He butchered 2 roosters, I cooked them up in the crockpot for supper, maybe the best ones I've done yet. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you what we were making with the aluminum foil last week & show you how my tie dye turned out from the Meet Up.

My tie dye t-shirt was supposed to
have blasts designs. Let's see
how it turned out.


One of Grand's guinea pigs had babies. The babies are called pups. They start eating hay & food their 1st day. Come to find out, guinea pigs like peppers about the same as they do lettuce.

Picking peppers for the
guinea pigs. We had
plenty of extra.
  

The guinea pigs eating a
couple of the cut up peppers
 I gave them. They can't
have too much at a time.

One of the baby guinea pigs.
She had 2.
  
Both baby guinea pigs fit in my hand.
They are so cute.




What secret method do you
use to peel eggs?

I took meatballs & deviled eggs to the family get together. I read a blog last week asking what food would you hope to be remembered for. Back when the oldest Grands were little, they said I made the best grilled cheese sandwiches. My Mother-in-Law used to always tell me I could bring macaroni & cheese to our family get togethers, if that meant anything. I have always enjoyed cooking when I had time & still do. Thinking back, I had a career & not a lot of extra time to perfect my cooking skills through the years as much as I would probably have liked too. I've told this story lots of times & it's still funny to me... I had made a peach pie. In conversation with Daughter talking about having pie with supper, she asked, "What kind of pie did Dad make". We currently like my meatballs & gravy. I'm perfecting my deviled egg skills since we have plenty of eggs on hand to work with. 






We started back our Homeschool Day at Granny's. A couple of the things we did was play a card game & do a craft. We've started out this year playing a card game that seemed to go over very good, "Who Knows Geography Better". It involves things like reading, vocabulary, concentration, communication, critical thinking & doing research while learning about all kinds of stuff about the United States & around the world. We did one round & the kids wanted to keep going. I'll plan to do 2 rounds next week & see how it goes. We finished up the balloons we started last week. The balloons were made using aluminum foil & a laminator. It was a fun interesting project that involved lots of different skills such as creativity, following directions, measurements, fine motor skills, hand & eye coordination, problem solving, cause & effect, so many learning things we don't even realize we're learning about. The kindergartener got some one-on-one time for writing, reading, letter recognition & counting.  


My balloon, "Wooooo's ready for school".



Happy 12th Birthday
to Grand Tripp.
 

We hosted to celebrate Grand's birthday at our place. There were burgers, a family kickball game & the bouncy water slide. We had a cookie cake to celebrate during school for snack.

Grand had a friend over for his birthday party.
They worked on a Lego set together. 


The results of my tie dye 

Daughter's Meet Up at the Park for Daycare & Homeschool was a success. Daughter had activities planned for read alouds, games & tie dye along with free play on the playground & a picnic. It was hot & we had plenty of water. It was fun!

Investigating a cricket. 


These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been? Go out & have a wonderful weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment