Monday, July 20, 2020

Haircuts & other mid July Happenings

Greetings

It's my birthday!  Kevin & I got our fall haircuts.  We usually get our cuts in August, though we both had started looking a little or maybe a lot ragged around the edges.  Also,  Daughter's wedding is less than a month away & this gives our fresh cuts time to grow out from that naked feeling, I'm sure you probably know what I'm talking about & I need to look good for my mother-of-the-bride photo shoot.  After the 4th of July, feels like fall to me.  Fallish things start happening even though we have some of our hottest temperatures yet to endure.  We've got harvest from the garden & already done some canning & freezing.  Golden rods have started blooming & the fall bugs are chirping.  Kids are getting ready for back-to-school & football practice has started.

Had to wear our shades cause it was so windy. Rode right at 100 miles
 round trip during a camping adventure.  We packed everything we
needed for camping on the side by side & headed out from home.

Grandkids


                         


Cooking


I made a couple of peach cakes.  I made 1 then had leftover peaches, so I made a 2nd one. The 2nd one was not as full of peaches & stuck to the pan a bit but it was good enough.  I used frozen peaches instead of fresh ones called for in the recipe & they worked fine.  I got the idea from another blog I read The Occasional Nomads.  Pineapple upside down cake is one of my favorites & didn't know peach upside down cake was a thing.  Thank you, Laura, for the idea.
Upside down peach cake recipe


Gardening

We got 1/2 inch of rain.  Picked lots of squash & several cherry tomatoes.  Little pumpkins are growing.  Kevin waters just about every evening.  The rain water collected in tubs has all been used up.

Kevin cooked the fish & I cooked the squash. Some with cheese &
some without. Kevin doesn't care for cheddar cheese much. A
friend shared the recipe on Facebook. Thank you,
Darrell Laura.  Look, I nailed it!


Cleaning


I got the Legos took apart, put back snug in their boxes & stored for safe keeping till the next Grand's visit.  Did some laundry.  With just the 2 of us, I do laundry about every other week. I could do laundry every week, though I wait till I have full loads in order to conserve on utilities a smidgen.  I cleaned the bathroom & gave the tub a good scrub.  I've stuck to my cleaning schedule about everyday.  The daily check off list I made for myself has helped keep me reminded to get things done.  
Bee balm blooms looks like little fireworks.

 

Health & Weight Maintenance


Been eating lots of vegetables from out of the garden & by lots, I mean squash....baked squash, fried squash, squash on the grill, zucchini muffins...
Walked around the rocks, under the trees, through the
wildflowers then back to camp.



Frugality, Savings & Spending


I cut Kevin's hair, hung laundry on the cloths line in the basement to dry & used warm up dish washing water to water flowers.  Opened windows in the early morning, late evening & during the night to cool the inside of the house.  Used the air conditioner sparingly = If hot, turned it on.  If comfortable enough, did not turn it on.  Vehicle insurance was due, so paid that.  

Staycation - camping every weekend in July.


Social & Community Service Activities


We had a nice surprise visit with one of Kevin's previous coworkers.  Cody, so good to see you.  Helped set up for Lions club bingo & donated some vegies out of the garden as a prize.

Shared vegetables out of the garden with coworkers & friends.  Made
zucchini muffins & shared at work for my birthday snack.


Other Activities


Read some more chapters in the Little House book I'm reading.  I watched tv in the evenings.  Started watching Ozark, but just could not get into it.

Bird watching while camping.

Doves don't make much of a nest.


These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how about you?



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful blue bird. You are right about the skimpy nest. Geez.
    Yay for camping every weekend and for a bountiful garden. I want to plant squash next year, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squash seems pretty easy to grow & produces abundance year to year. We're trying a couple different kinds of winter squash this year. We've not had good luck growing melons though the years for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wedding coming up how exciting! That should be lots of fun!
    Seems like I wash a load of clothing everyday so I don't get behind. Whites, Darks, light colors, towels, sheets makes five days:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I have 4 loads of laundry. Whites & towels, my work clothes, Hubby's work clothes & sheets. I used to have a weekly laundry schedule but now I go farther between washes & watch when we are getting close to being out of clean things. We hang our bath towel to dry & use it over & over.

      Delete