Friday, April 21, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share


Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia.  How you doing this 16th week of 2023?  Kevin & I went to the Plant Affair on the square, the Rhododendron Festival at the fairgrounds, shopped at Home Depot on the other side of the mountain & did some exploring on the Appalachian Trial. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you more, come walk with me...



I couldn't decide on these $30
pots of rhododendrons at the
Plant Affair.  I took a business
card for maybe later.









* The Plant Affair was hosted by the local Garden Club.  There were all kinds of gardening stuff for sale:  plants, bird houses, arts & crafted yard ornaments along with homemade jams, jellies & honey.  There was supposed to have been a bake sale but I either overlooked it or all the goods were gone when we got there toward the end of the event.  I was interested in getting rhododendrons to plant along the property line that is up on the bank close to the house. Kevin was interested in getting vegetable plants for the garden.  There were some really nice plants at the affair, a few flowering things that we had never seen before. I noticed some really cute painted gourds & uniquely made wind chimes, but we ended up not getting anything there. 

*  The garden trail at the Rhododendron Festival was started back in 1982.  1000 rhododendrons were placed on the hillside along the bank of the lake.  There were markers placed where plants had been donated & added through the years in honor of or in memory of someone.  There was live music & food trucks at the festival.  There were also rhododendrons & other plants for sale along with arts & crafts.  The rhododendrons there were $50 a pot.

                      




*  We got a 15% off coupon in the mail from Home Depot, welcoming us to the area.  Kevin had sold a lot of stuff out of his shop to keep from having to move it.  A couple things he was in need of were a toolbox & shop vac, though there was a whole list of things on a list that was left laying at home on the kitchen table.  

Which toolbox to get & what color?
A medium size red one was the winner.
Which cucumber seeds to get? 
Burpless was chosen.
The drive over the mountain was
nice.  The dogwoods were still
in bloom & a tree Kevin called
cucumber.





*  Trillium, Mayapple & woodland Iris 
were in bloom as we walked a short 
distance on the Appalachian Trail. The
 town does free pickups on certain days
 at certain times for hikers so they can 
come into town to get supplies, eat out,
stay the night or do whatever things 
they want or need to do. 
 
Trillium










I always make a round or 2 in 
the lumber aisles to smell
the scent of the wood.




These are some of the 
things that's been 
going on in my
neck of the woods,
how's your week
been?


20 comments:

  1. The rhododendrons look beautiful. Trillium is the official flower of my province (Ontario). Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it, the rhododendron festival goes on for several weekends during the blooming season of the rhododendrons. The next couple of weekends might have been better for seeing more blooms.

      Delete
  2. OK, I have never been successful commenting on your blog, but I will try again... A lot of nice photos. It looks like a pretty area - a little more wooded than the Dakotas ;) I really like Rhododendron. They aren't in bloom here yet, but hopefully it won't be long - I have a couple in my yard. Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees are one thing that I did miss while living out in prairie area. We have 2 rhododendrons already established in our yard & would like to get some more.

      Delete
  3. Agree with the others that the rhododendrons are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved all the rhododendron pics and how nice to get a welcome to the area store discount - and quite a hefty one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coupon had a $200 savings limit & we came a few dollars under it, but got all the items we could think of that was on that list that was left at home. Of course, there were a few items on the list that were forgotten about at shopping time.

      Delete
  5. Lovely roddys. Mine are due to bloom in a few weeks. Thanks for the blooming tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see pictures of yours in bloom. The blooms are really lovely. Wished they lasted longer.

      Delete
  6. Buy a couple of good looking plants and take cuttings from them to root put the cuttings in soil or some will even root in water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to get cuttings, guess I had not thought of that. We've done that with the forsythia bushes.

      Delete
  7. You guys have really settled in well to your new home and area. I remember seeing rhododendron in Boston when I was a little girl but didn't remember them being so large!! I think you need to go back for a couple of those pots of purple ones. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning to get a couple of those rhododendrons, but didn't. I guess I was waiting to see what else would be available.

      Delete
  8. That was me anonymous:) I was on my I pad and blogger will only let me do anonymous on it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's crazy how each device is different on the same sites. I've tried working on my blog on my phone & it's different.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you visited some awesome places. Here in our town we are having "Lilac Days". I'm hoping to go sometime and enjoy the gardens, the lilacs and perhaps buy some plants. I'd like to find a dwarf lilac to put in a container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lilacs did good in South Dakota. The town should have had lilac days or something there. the lilacs were beautiful all around town when they were blooming.

      Delete
  10. OOps hit publish too quick. Rhodies are so pretty....my parents had them in their yard, but I HATED deadheading them. So sticky...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to post pictures of the gardens & lilacs when you are out & about. You are right about that sticky stuff.

      Delete