Sunday, August 27, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share
Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia.  How you doing this 34th week of 2023?  It was my Sunday to work with a starting time of 7 am, so I didn't have to get out too early.  The pot of elephant ears I got was supposed to have a green leaf bulb & a black leaf bulb.  The black ears didn't produce, the green ears done good.  Probably the biggest ears I've ever grown.  Getting the Michigan coffee cup instead of the Georgia one I ordered, brings back good memories of traveling with Friends & Family through the years.  We went to Michigan several times on grouse hunting vacations.  We road up to the Mackinac Bridge during one of those trips while in the area.  Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you about going to the Georgia Mountain Fair.  We had not been in years, come walk with me...

We don't consider ourselves social nor good hosts,
but we do treasure the friendships we've made
along the way, whether we've seen friends recently
or not.  If you've ever been to one of our dinner
parties, you know it's a hotdog roast.  Hopefully
you had a good time cooking your own food &
was entertained in some awkward form
 or fashion. 

1990 Mio Michigan

 

*  A page from one of our photo albums site seeing in Michigan & the chalet we stayed in.  Kevin said it was some of the best grouse hunting he had ever done.  It was usually the middle of the woodcock migration when we were there.  The birds were plentiful & very good meat for the table.  To our surprise, there were elk in the area.  The 1st wild elk we had ever seen & heard bugle.  The chalet was surrounded by an Amish community.  There were signs posted giving caution to watch for horses & buggies.  It was common to pass them on the roads.  We enjoyed talking with the neighbors & getting our 1st glimpses into Amish lifestyle.  When we lived in Iowa, we had Amish neighbors & still treasure their friendship. 

Me, the official drink holder at the fair.






*  I remembered the Georgia Mountain Fair to have more demonstrators than vendors.  During our visit to the fair this time around, there were more vendors than demonstrators.  Kevin & I went to the fair a little earlier than Daughter & her family so we could walk around & see the arts, crafts & demonstrations 1st.  When Daughter arrived, Kevin & I took the Grands to the rides while Daughter & Son-in-Law took a turn walking around.  Daughter got the carnival ride tickets in advance at a discounted price.  There wasn't a waiting line for Grands to get their wristbands, so that part went quick.  Kevin & I spent a joyful amount of time with Grands watching them ride rides till their parents came & took over.  Kevin & I then headed to Taco Bell for their $5 Cravings Box.  The waiting line to get ride tickets/wristbands was backed up a long way at that time.  We talked about our timing to the fair worked out just right. 

The flower show exhibits were my
 overall favorite things to look at,
 at the fair.  Son-in-Law said he
remembered (being drug through)
the flower building when he was
a boy.
  
We all liked the metal art, though
it wasn't made by the vendor.  They
sure had a lot of it.  Daughter &
Son-in-Law's favorite was the 
dinosaurs.  Kevin & me liked
a skunk.



One of my favorite crafted things
were these painted fishing/trap floats.
  
One of Daughters favorite crafted things
were these wooden lighted
Christmas trees.












































These are some of the that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?

The bear hit the bird feeder
again.  We haven't got a
picture of it on the
trail camera yet.




7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all had a great time at the fair. I hope you share picture of the bear when you get it on your trail camera. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories to look back on, both at the recent fair and from 1990! It's amazing how fleeting time is so it's truly lovely to have a few photos to jog our memories :-) Hope your week ahead is a good one! Fingers crossed for a bear pic or two if they surface again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun memories and a fun fair. What a surprise it must've been receiving the Michigan cup?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I ever heard of the Georgia Mountain Fair, and I lived in Georgia for almost 4 years in the early-mid 90s. Would have been fun to go.

    I haven't been to a fair in years. Hoping to get to our county fair next April. I love the flower shows too, also the quilts and other needle crafts and the animals. And the funnel cake and deep fried everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We mamas get all the fun jobs. Drink holder, stroller pusher, face (and bottom) wiper, hand washer. The fair looks like a good time. I liked seeing the displays when I was a little girl going to the MidSouth Fair in Memphis. The photo you took of the flower arrangement is so pretty. I love the jar of marbles spilled out beneath the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am social and love hosting, but we don't get to do it often. I think we all have to find what feels right to us and be okay with that. It doesn't have to be fancy or pretty, people just need to feel welcome. Loved the page from the photo album. Love your flowers in the vase. Dahlias are my fave.

    ReplyDelete