Saturday, April 13, 2024

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share
Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing this 15th week of 2024? The dogwood trees have come alive. It's 47 degrees here this early Saturday morning. I had planned to sleep in, but I was bright eyed & bushy tailed at 4 am. I don't know why, maybe excited to go to the produce stand & get flowers to plant in the newly remodeled flower bed out in front of the house. Soon my everydays will be a Saturday as I get closer to my retirement date. Then I'll have plenty of opportunities to sleep in & take 2 to 3 hours to have my morning coffee. We got all that rain along with some wind that was forecasted last week. I have more sticks to pick up around in the yard. I didn't walk outside during work time to look up at the solar eclipse, but I did look at some interesting pictures of it online later that evening. I had a good time with the Grandgirls last weekend. The girls did end up convincing me that it was not too cold for them to get in the creek. Good thing I had plenty of hot chocolate on hand. It was too cold for me & Kevin to get in the water to move around the rocks that had washed out of their place. Kevin got a load of mulch instead. We all worked on putting it out around in the flower beds, Kevin cleaned out the chicken house. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you about a couple of whoopsies we had this week & a few of the fun things the Grandgirls did while visiting, walk with me...


"This is so much fun" for about 3 buckets, then
they got hot & went to the creek.

The mud bath loving girl.
 
The mud pie loving girl.


The stick fetching loving girl.
  
"Do you like butter?"


The new pulley verses the old
one that fell apart & caused
the belt to break.


*  Whoops... The belt broke on the jeep as we were taking the Grandgirls home. The belt flew off about a mile from our destination. Kevin kept driving on to their house without any power steering but before things started to heat up. Luckly, there are a couple of parts places open around here on Sunday. We were able to get the 2 needed parts to fix the jeep, though Kevin had to get 2 different size pulleys because he wasn't sure which size he would need. Son-in-Law helped Kevin put in the new pulley & belt to get the jeep back on the road. The unneeded pully was returned a few days later for a full refund. I was the flashlight holder & the tool hander in case anyone wonders what I did to help in the situation. 

*  Whoops... We woke up to the power being off one morning this week. Neighbor told Kevin it had went off about 11 the night before. That meant our electricity had been off for at least 8 hours. We went to work & don't know when the power came back on. Kevin has an incubator full of chicken eggs that are supposed to hatch the same time the baby chicks are expected to arrive here in a couple weeks. We're hoping the eggs are ok & maybe the only side effect will be a day or 2 later for hatching.

The hatching eggs look all snug
as a bug under a rug, or maybe not.
 The temperature stays at 99.5 F.
A good range of warmth is 
99 to102, plus a little water
in there for humidity.


A sneak peek of the arch for
Grand's wedding.
 
These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?

The strawberries are blooming,
the rhubarb has 4 beautiful leaves,
azalea blooms are about to pop
open, an asparagus the size of a 
toothpick has showed itself.






8 comments:

  1. Kids and cold water- they're tougher. Sounds like a very nice week. Good luck with the chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls look so happy playing in the mud of the creek.

    Sorry, to hear about the power. Hopefully the eggs are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a quiet here in South Dakota. It so gorgeous here today, it’s 73 degree right now. Gary got his new hearing aids on Tuesday so life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun and busy week for you. Kids here wouldn't be caught dead in a creek yet. The water is coming off the icy mountains. I hope your eggs hatch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dogwood flowers and the strawberry patch looks promising. I hope the eggs all hatch in spite of the power outage. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm slightly envious of you getting closer to be able to enjoy every day as Saturday :) Is that wood chips on that trailer? I've been looking for someone to deliver some for my garden, but ended up purchasing bags from the garden center instead. Very strange that no-one had wood chips for sale in the vicinity, we are surrounded by pine forests everywhere.
    It looked like you had a marvellous time with your granddaughters. Thank you for the delicious coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had a creek for kids to play in...so much fun. What a great update!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen what a lovely part of the world you live in. The girls look like they are having fun in the mud - who doesn't love a mud pie! x

    ReplyDelete