Friday, April 26, 2024

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share
 Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing this 17th week of 2024? It's 55 degrees here this Friday morning. The iris have been blooming this week. Grand's wedding ceremony & celebration was a success & perfectly beautiful. The wedding was in an old train depot that is now a rental space for such special occasions. I had such a good time visiting with everyone & of course we got tons of pictures of everything, the cookie table was a big hit. I'm heading out this weekend to Aunt's 90th birthday celebration. I'm planning to take mashed tators & make them like Daughter does. She uses red potatoes & leaves the skin on. The Grand's tell me that's how the mashed tators get their flavor, so that will be a flavorful added bonus. Me & Sister are pulling a birthday surprise out of our sleeves for the event, stay tuned next week for what it is, so for now, grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you some about the wedding & show a few pictures of the highlights, come walk with me...

I shouldn't have, but I did indulge. There
was leftover chocolate cookie topping &
 I remembered we still had some of those
"sweet as candy" grapes.

 

* I couldn't decide which of the 4 varieties of cookies to make for the cookie table, so I made all 4 of the ones I had made samples of - chocolate thin mint cookie bar, butterscotch haystacks, pecan cups & sweet & salty turtles. I had to make a do over batch of the haystacks. I didn't have enough karo syrup, so I used some honey. Those cookies were too sticky & didn't set up good enough. 

Guests were asked to bring a couple dozen
or so of cookies to make up the cookie table. 
Look at all that yummy cookie goodness.
There were boxes for everyone to take
cookies home as a party favor.


There was a festive balloon garland
in the reception area. The food tables
 made an L. The cookie tables were at
the bottom of the L. There wasn't a
rehearsal dinner, instead, a meal
 was served for all to enjoy
 immediately after the
wedding nuptials.
  
Gnomes of different sizes were hidden 
all around. See one? The bride & groom
have a collection of gnomes, so it was
a fun surprise for guests when they
discovered one of the hidden gems
to add to the collection.





The wedding cake was so delicious &
perfectly moist. I chose this strawberry
 piece. The layers were strawberry &
vanilla. The bottom was vanilla, the
 middle strawberry & the top will be a 
surprise when they have it on their
1st anniversary.


  
The wedding cake was made by Cousin
Sally. She makes the most beautiful & fun
cakes for any & all occasions. 


The groom's cake was triple melt
 in your mouth chocolate.
  
Do you see the flowers in the
veggie trays?

The arch turned out perfect for a quaint
 intimate wedding ceremony. Me & Kevin
were on the arch committee. Moma put the
flower arrangements together for the arch.
The bride & groom wrote their own vows.
 I may have shed a joyful heartfelt tear or
 2. Kevin had the wood on hand & plans
to reuse it to make some sawhorses. 
  
They did it, congrats to the newlyweds!





There was a guest book for signing,
giving well wishes, advise &
decorating the book up with
self-portraits. It was fun, I helped
 take several pictures. The camera
 was a Christmas gift to one of the 
Grandgirls. It worked perfect for
this wedding activity. The camera
works like the old Polaroids, if you
ever remember those back in
the day. 

 
The background for taking
pictures for the quest book.
Happy April Birthdays
to my Adventurous Guy &
Daughter.







* Last but not least was the excitement of sneaking out to decorate the get-away car. The married sign had to be taken down because they couldn't see out the back window for driving. I always say "have fun but be safe" & "watch out for deer" (that means I love you).

Honk! Honk!


These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?



3 comments:

  1. Lovely wedding photos. I love that it seems more couples are moving towards intimate and special weddings rather than extravaganzas where the couple and even parents hardly can talk to anyone. I know some families are large and some people have lots of friends, so to each their own. But when I hear a young couple takes on debt for the wedding, I'm sad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time that I have seen your blog & enjoyed all the content! The wedding was beauas well as all the decorations! 🩷

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice wedding! You have been busy baking! The arch turned out just perfect!

    ReplyDelete