Saturday, February 11, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead

Weekend Coffee Share
Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from South Dakota.  How you doing this 6th week of 2023?  Kevin still felt kind of weak & down & out from his trip to the ER last week, so there wasn't any exploring done on the prairie.  I encouraged Kevin to drink more water & that's a thing he'll have to get used to.  He got a glucose monitor & has started checking his sugar every morning.  I researched for low sugar low carb recipes & tried a few.  The pizza casserole was a good substitute for pizza, now if I could find low carb recipes for the rest of our favorite foods, I'll be my own hero.  Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you about a few other things that went on around my place this week, come walk with me... 

I made this Pizza Casserole that
uses rice cauliflower for the crust, 
Kevin grilled bacon wrapped doves.
Other things on the menu this week
were roasted radishes that compare
to tators & pepperoni chips since
there was leftover pepperoni
 from the casserole.









* I discovered carbquick that is comparable to bisquick for making biscuits & pancakes.  I watched a video of 10 low carb freezer meals & got the recipes to try.  Kevin discovered diet Pepsi with 0 sugar 0 carbs.  He is on the fence if he can tolerate the difference in the taste from a regular Pepsi.  I got him some peach protein drinks, so I'll see if that helps with having a drink other than just water.  
The youngest Grand had his 4 months old
photo shoot. Daughter says he is
super smiley super often. 2 of the
 middle Grands made the middle
 school basketball team.


*  We had our Lions Club potluck Christmas dinner.  One Member & Wife wasn't able to make it, but it was decided to go ahead & have the dinner anyways.  I think Kevin & I did good with our eating of more protein for the past week & less sugar & carbs.  We both ate tators, pie & cake at the dinner.  It gave Kevin an idea of how eating sugars & starches raise his sugar level.  I was surprised the monitor showed only 10 points higher the next morning verses 100, so that was good to see.  
I took my poinsettia for decoration 
to the dinner because after all, it was a
Christmas dinner. The plant is still looking
pretty good, a few leaves have fell off. 
I've still been watering it with melted snow.
I made deviled eggs for the Christmas
dinner & a jug of lemonade, Kevin 
cooked tators that were gown in our garden.



These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?

6 comments:

  1. Drinking more water is really important especially as we get older! We are working on more water too! Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your husband feels better soon. A change in diet and meal planning is not easy but you've got this. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry your husband is still feeling a bit weak. I can appreciate how hard a change in diet must be. I started a healthier diet about a year ago and it was hard and that's just the everything in moderation and minding my fat/sugar intake a little because I was significantly overweight type of healthier diet. I've never even tried going low-carb or anything. Your post also reminds me that drinking enough water is something I need to be mindful of too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is your youngest grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully your hubby is feeling stronger this week. I enjoyed your update! Oh, and I love your mug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm a few weeks late... but it sound like you are doing well switching over to less carbs and sugar; not an easy switch I know but every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete