Friday, February 3, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead

Weekend Coffee Share
Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from South Dakota.  How you doing this 5th week of 2023?  I challenged myself to take Rose for a walk beyond the limits of our yard every day in January for January's Walk Your Pet Month.  We walked out of the yard every day in January except for that one Monday that Rose didn't want to walk.  I waited at the door with my coat & shoes on.  She didn't come bouncing with eager & joy like she usually does when I say, " Let's go outside".  I guess pets have those kinds of Mondays too every once in a while.  Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you about a few other things that went on around my place this week, come walk with me... 

*  Here are a few memories from my Walk Your Pet Month challenge:




Kevin made his Sunday snowday
chocolate gravy & biscuit bread.  Other
things on the menu were pork chops 
& salads made with blueberries.
that were on sale. 
*  It was too cold & snowy to get out to do any exploring on the prairie, so instead, there was napping, eating all the leftovers, reading & watching episodes of That 90s Show, brownies were made & only some of them were ate.
Starting the day with some jokes.  
Q:  What did one magnet say to the
other magnet?  A:  "I'm very attracted
to you!"  😂


Grand's team's robotic in
action retrieving dice.
*  Grand's Lego Robotic team competed in the Tennessee Valley Regionals.  There were 30 of the best teams from 7 states in the competition.  Only one team got to advance to the Nationals.  Daughter sent me pictures & videos of the day's events. 
Everyone got a little
robot figurine.

*  I had my yearly physical, Kevin took an unexpected trip to the ER in a not so fun & joyful ride in the back of an ambulance.  Everything checked out good for both of us for the most part.  I need to look into taking some vitamin D & calcium & set up an appointment for a yearly mammogram.  I have to go back in 2 weeks to have some things checks again, seems I might have been a little dehydrated.  Kevin had some issues with high sugar & severer dehydration that caused him to pass out while he was at work.  We'll be looking into changing our eating habits drastically & are researching ideas for different low sugar low carb foods & recipe ideas.  Those leftover brownies went in the trash, along with some other sweets & high carb foods within reach.  I don't like to waste food, but our health is more important.  It seems this dry air humidity is affecting both of us inside & out.  My fingertips have started splitting open & bleeding again even though we're using the humidifier, putting water on the heating stove, using vapor rub & lotions.  I end the week with dry chapped lips.

As I look out my kitchen window....  I see the deer bedded down.  It's very cold &
there is still plenty of snow hanging around.  The stick in the front is a measurement
marker for Kevin's archery target practice.  The deer around town are very trusting &
they know when the garden is ready for their scavenging.


These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?



10 comments:

  1. Here in Fargo, we still have the cold wind and snow. I am wondering if it'll really be 32 degrees by the end of the weekend. LOVE the pictures of the deer! --Lizl Bennefeld

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very cold but still very nice views and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cold week here. We had Dr appts all week and everything looks good for the moment. We are looking forward to the warm up:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with Walk Your Pet month with Rose! I hope you find a solution for your extreme dryness. We have on extreme cold day today and it will warm up starting tomorrow. Thank your for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen - sorry to hear that you and your husband haven't been well. A change in your diet will probably have you both feeling a little healthier - but I hope you get to include a few treats to balance things out. Hopefully it'll start getting warmer soon and you and your dog can be out and about again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your hubs is feeling better! How scary! I love the pic of Rose on the cattle guard! I can't tell if she was apprehensive or she was in the midst of hopping over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your and your husband's health problems! I hope you're able to make the changes you need to make so you both feel better.

    I'm intrigued by the chocolate gravy and biscuit bread. Off to Google some recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look so cold.....hope the health issues resolve themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We watched That 90's Show too and I thought it was a lot of fun. Sorry to hear you both are having some health issues; I hate wasting food too but you are right in that your health is more important. I have definitely thrown out desserts after the holidays to keep all of us from snacking on them non-stop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your update. Glad you are both okay and hopefully are able to make the necessary changes to stay on top of things.

    ReplyDelete