Friday, September 27, 2024

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share

Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing this 39th week of 2024? I got the pansies planted. They are doing good. I got into an ant's nest while digging around in the dirt. I got bit a million times before I realized what was going on. I stopped by the farm stand to get a couple of pumpkins for the baby shower. The place was really decorated up for fall & Halloween. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you about Hurricane Helene barreling through our place this Friday morning...

Watching live updates of Hurricane Helene
as she approaches land & moves toward
our area. 

*  We were woken up this morning about 5:30 am by the roaring winds off of Hurricane Helene as she was passing through. She went more east of us than weather forecasters were predicting. We never lost power. The lights flickered a few times, just enough to upset the time on the digital clocks. We had some heavier items blow over outside, the bench overlooking the creek & one of the heavier lawn chairs near the firepit area. The refrigerator on the tractor shed porch blew over onto the jeep. The corner of the refrigerator put a crease in the side vinyl window of the jeep top but thankfully didn't punch a hole completely through it. There doesn't seem to be many tree limbs or twigs that'
ll need to be picked up. The pond filled up with water & there is overflow. We'll see how long the water stays in the pond. Maybe the weight of the water will patch the leakage. 

The creek is still rising 
from runoff. We parked
my car & Kevin's truck
beside the house just
in case those big trees
went down. 
 
I had thoughts of grabbing my tube
& floating around while the water is up.
 It was drizzling rain, so I decided it best
to continue on with my morning walk.





* Some other happenings:

Lots of big nice pumpkins to choose
from at the farm stand.


I spy with my little eyes,
something black coming
out of the chicken house.



A little something for
Daughter & Grand Twins,
maternity tops for Daughter
& an apple snack for the
babies.
  

Happy Birthday to Sister Sharon,
celebrating with birthday cake,
presents, balloons & silly hats.



These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?


1 comment:

  1. Looks like the pond and creek are full of water. Glad you were spared flooding that I saw on TV in other places. Oh I hate snakes...i bet it eats eggs:(

    ReplyDelete