Friday, August 14, 2026

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share

Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing? Goldenrods & blackeyed Susans are blooming, that means it's officially fall by my standards. August is flying by, so I guess that means we've been having lots of fun. We went on a couple trail rides. I helped host Cousin Camp & assisted daughter more with daycare & at her home. Kevin has been putting up okra from out of the garden & he went back to work. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you how many more kittens we got & how many wild blackberries we picked.



Son-in-Law has a nice spice
collection. I enjoy his 
grilling & taste tests.
When our kids grow up & become adults, things change that nobody really ever warned us about or talks about. We don't stop being Mom, we don't stop loving each other, we just stop being around each other. Everybody has jobs, their own lifestyle, their own home, their own schedules, their own responsibilities, their own people that need them. Time together becomes something we have to plan. We Moms may not be needed in the same ways we used to be, but there are still moments when we can step in, lend a hand & simply be there. Son-in-Law's Mother was hospitalized with serious ongoing heart problems. When something like that happens to the one's we love, everything else seems to take a back seat. While Daughter's Family focused on Mawmaw's care & recovery solutions, I was grateful to be able to help & assist Daughter with the little everyday things that needed to be done around her home - prepare meals, wash dishes, tidy up, fold laundry, take Grands to practice & help them with their pets, give the little one's baths, sub for daycare & simply just being there. I may have got on Daughter's nerves a time or 2 & that's all part of motherhood too, I know I couldn't take away the family's worry or the difficult circumstances, but I could lighten the load in small ways. Sometimes being Mom to adult children means showing up, rolling up our sleeves & doing whatever needs to be done with love & gratitude, giving them a little room to breathe. 




Walking tacos, meatballs & roasting
 hotdogs for supper.




Cousin Camp was a 5-generation celebration - a reminder of where we came from & the family we are now. Everything was about having a good time together laughing, playing & learning. We watched the movie The Mighty Macs on a big screen under the stars near the campfire. Sister provided unlimited popcorn.

Everyone ended up getting wet
either from the bouncy house water
slide or from Sister's idea of
 "wouldn't it be fun to have squirt guns". 

Reminiscing around the campfire.
 "Remember this" & Sister's very scary
ghost stories that everyone looks
forward to. 

Most of the birdies ended up 
on top of the house. 





Party time with July & August birthdays.

Happy 21st Birthday to Grand Austin &
 his wife Jessi. Happy 2nd Birthday to
Greatgrand Ash.

Greatgrand had a Mario 
birthday party at the pool.


Daughter made this adorable
Luigi & Mario fruit dish.




Our cat had 4 more kittens. I 
thought it was a bit too soon 
since she just had kittens
back in April.


These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods these last few weeks, how has your week been? Go out & have a wonderful weekend.


Kevin took a bowl on one
of our trail rides being eager
to pick enough wild blackberries
 to make a cobbler. We picked 0
berries. They were very
small & not many ripe ones
so, no wild blackberry
cobbler or jelly or anything
this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment