Friday, September 8, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share


Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia.  How you doing this 36th week of 2023?  I've been Christmas shopping & checking things off my Fall Bucket List.  I had an extra day off work this week due to the Labor Day Holiday, though it was my Sunday to work.  I was up at 3:30 am to get that day started.  Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll tell you about a few other things, come walk with me...

I love when these 2 host a
smash burger cookout.


Happy Birthday to Grand Tripp.
Daughter made a minecraft
birthday cake for the occasion
with chocolaty goodness,
rice krispie treats & jello.


*  Daughter & Son-in-Law hosted a birthday party/Labor Day weekend cookout at the creek.  There was swimming, fishing, tubing & rock climbing that went on along with burger & birthday cake eating.

I did a little toe dipping
in the creek.



* Kevin & I had a good day exploring in the mountains, jeep riding, walking, fishing, taking pictures & picnicking.  A lot of other jeep folks were out enjoying the day too.  I got stung by a yellow jacket while walking. Kevin noticed the nest after the fact & said it looked like a bear had dug it out to get the baby bees.  We walked by the nest 2 times.  Man oh man that sting on my arm hurt for the longest time then it was gone, no swelling or nothing, thank goodness. Then there was a couple days of itching. We noticed a little leaf color changing on a few of the trees while out & about.  Kevin caught us a small mess of rainbow trout. We ate them for supper along with a veggie stir fry from stuff out of the garden.  The okra has put out more here at the end of the growing season than we thought it would.  Kevin put several packs of okra in the freezer.





38 years of marriage
These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the weeks, how has your week been?
Then

Now








6 comments:

  1. Very nice photos of nature from your walk. 38 years of marriage is amazing. Thank you for your weekend coffee share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! That is one pretty mushroom:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your picture of the tree with the red fungi made me think of something that happened in August. We were out for a walk and a neighbour drove up and hopped out of his truck offering us with round spongy-look dirty off white ball thing. Turns out it was a giant puffball mushroom, which he assured us was edible and tasty. I'm the only person in my family that eats mushrooms, so we didn't accept this mushroom that was the size of my head. Mushrooms are interesting.

    Thanks for the virtual coffee, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos as always! My treatment for stings: mix Benadryl lotion and hydrocortisone cream and apply, then use an ice pack for the pain. When the itching starts, use hydrocortisone. Works amazingly well.

    ReplyDelete