Sunday, October 8, 2023

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share

Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing this 40th week of 2023? Kevin started a new job & went to the Goat Farm Trade Day. I cooked some pumpkin & went to Daughter's Church Fall Festival. We went for a jeep ride & picked up a bag of chestnuts. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & I'll give you some of the details, come walk with me...
Kevin got a job doing something
 he has found enjoyment in doing
these days, playing in the dirt. On this
job they were clearing trees for a
house site.


Stats:  20 pounds plus or minus a pound or 2 or 3, 
45 inches in diameter, 14 inches at the top of the
steam to the bottom on the ground.



*  I marked a few more fallish things off my Fall Bucket List I only got 1 pumpkin & the chickens helped carve it into a jack-o-lantern.  The pumpkin was an outcast from the produce stand on the other side of town.  Here is my pumpkin photo shoot for your viewing enjoyment:


The pumpkin had a little bad spot there
on it's top & it was flat on the back side
but it worked perfect for my use.





I cooked 1/2 of the pumpkin to put
in the freezer to make pies later on &
a cup of it went into a pot of pumpkin
chili I made this week.
















The other 1/2 went to the chickens for their help 
in carving a jack-o-lantern.

Mashing up the cooked pumpkin
to make a thick puree. It wasn't the
perfect sugar pie pumpkin for
making pies, but it'll work.  The
 peeled chunked cooked pieces
 looked kinda like pineapples.
  
To make pumpkin chili, I made my regular chili
recipe that's on the back of the chili seasoning
pack then added a cup of pumpkin, 2 teaspoons
of pumpkin pie spice & 1 tablespoon
 of brown sugar.





























Happy Halloween Month.



2. Go to a fall festival ✅ 12. Drink spiced apple cider

6. Get some pumpkins ✅ 17. Carve a jack-o-lantern ✅

8. Watch fall/Halloween 18. Make pumpkin chili ✅ 

movies every day in October. ✅

1. The Curse of Bridge Hollow 4. There's Someone Inside Your House

2. We have a Ghost 5. Wednesday

3. Casper 6. Hubie Halloween

Mushroomy things were the things to see
 during this week's jeep ride exploring
in the mountains.

These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?

This brought back memories
of selling chestnuts back in
 elementary school during the
Harvest Sale days in the 1970s.



6 comments:

  1. I love how the chickens helped with your jack-o-lantern 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a busy weekend. Got the garden all cleaned out, mowed the park and our yard. Hopefully for the last time this year! I cleaned out flower beds & started digging up irises. Should have been thinned a few years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some pretty mushrooms! I always admire people who can identify mushrooms...and which ones you can eat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss baking and pureeing pumpkin! I used to grow my own pumpkin and winter squash and spend a good part of a weekend processing and freezing them. It was wonderful to have pumpkin on hand for pumpkin bread and pancakes and... now I'm hungry. Maybe I'll find some time this year to do it. Maybe. I never thought to add pumpkin to chili. Interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy these posts. I like the way you say, "come walk with me" and the photo is so pretty of the cup of coffee and the misty looking meadow. Glad your husband has a new job he enjoys. Boys and their toys!! They like to dig up stuff, huh? Your pumpkin was perfect for all of its purposes. I hope to go pick out some tomorrow. Can't believe we are already into the second week of October. We usually go to the pumpkin patch but no one seems interested this year. I love pumpkin chili. Yours sounds even better than the recipe I use. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete