Friday, January 1, 2021

Elf

Happy New Year!  Hello 2021!  I had the day off work.  There is possible changes taking place at work in the next several weeks that might have me working more hours.  I took this day to relax.  There was sunny blue skies.  I took a long refreshing morning dog walk with Rose.  The frost glistened on the tall grass.  Deer were laying in the field, 4 ran across the path up ahead.

The beginning of the year is our eat all things from the freezer & pantry, well, we actually do that year round but we get more intentional about doing it when the new year starts, to make room for the upcoming canning & freezing season from the garden.  

We're going to get the garden seeds ordered as soon as the catalog comes in the mail.  Last year we ordered in January not knowing anything about the disruptions that were to come due to Covid.  We read & heard stories at planting time last year that some places would not sell their seeds saying seeds were not essential.  

My thoughts for the new year are the exact same as last year - 1. Be positive  2. Make the best of every situation & circumstance  3. Have a balance of different activities  4. Be thankful for the things I already have  5. Age gracefully  

Kevin & I made a pitcher of our southern style sweet tea.  We cooked chicken & dumplings in a big pot on the stove while pinto beans simmered in the crockpot.  It wasn't the traditional New Year's meal, but it was good enough for us for what we had on hand.

Found it!  My sister & I were tourist in NYC at the
Empire State Building when Elf was being filmed.
  I didn't know who Will Ferrell was at that time.

I sorted, downsized & put away Christmas decorations. I'm passing down some decorations to Daughter.  I got 1 box ready to mail & I'll fill & mail another box when I get a box. I found the Elf dvd I'd been looking for while I was organizing.  I watched it along with a couple of episodes of The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. 

Kevin had got a box of Shirley Temple movies on vhs tapes at an auction several years ago.  Actually more than 5 years because the box moved with us from Iowa to South Dakota, I believe. We had intentions of watching the movies then passing them on. The movies were stored in a box along with the Christmas totes. I noticed the box, opened it & at that moment remembered that we had the movies.  The time has came that we're going to watch those Shirley Temple movies this month.  There are 20 tapes but some are duplicates. I put the tapes on the shelf under the tv, in line to be watched.  I think Kevin got the box for $1 or 2.




4 comments:

  1. I hope your kids want your downsizing, lol. I am of a purging mindset as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too...LOL! I did ask Daughter if she wanted the Christmas decorations & she said yes, so I'm good this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good feeling to downsize the Christmas a little. I did that a few years ago, and now my babies have decorations on their trees from their childhood holidays. Kind of nice.

    Chicken and dumplings and pinto beans sound pretty darn delicious to me. My aunt used to make homemade noodles that were sinfully good. And more like dumplings. Would love to have a big bowl today.

    Hope you won't have to work too hard but will be able to make a little extra money, maybe, in the next few weeks. Glad you have work. I was subbing in the schools but of course, that went out the window last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made noodles but know of several that do. Kevin is the dumpling maker.

      Delete