Saturday, January 2, 2021

Tumbleweed

We went ahead & ordered the seeds for the garden instead of waiting for the catalog to come.  We were able to view online what we had ordered last year & the prices were the same.  We placed our order on the 15th last year, so we ordered just a couple weeks earlier this year.  We ordered from RH Shumway's.  

Last year we tried growing kale for the 1st time. We probably won't do it again.  I did finally manage to get a couple of small leaves to put in a salad before the bugs ate those up too.  This year's new item is buttercup burgess squash.  We saw some at the county fair so they seem to do good in the area.

I took the camera out with me this morning in hopes of getting pictures of the deer while on my dog walk with Rose.  The deer were there.  I turned on the camera & zoomed in just right.  The camera then shut off due to dead batteries, just my luck.   Later, I got tangled up in a tumbleweed.  I thought I could step over it, but no, my feet got tangled & I almost fell.



A friend put up a bird feeder out in the trees
along the edge of the road for community
bird watching throughout the winter.


I was washing dishes & noticed this colorful
sunset out the window.







4 comments:

  1. I’d be happy to do dishes with a view like that. I won’t try gardening again but will continue to patron local farms and markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a garden about every year that we've been married (36 years). Kevin is the gardener & I'm the helper.

      Delete
  2. I think I have mentioned that I had a boyfriend years ago in North Dakota. Had aspirations of living in his family's old abandoned farmhouse at one point. Still have a photo on my bookshelf of that beautiful, weathered old home. The view from the kitchen window was similar to your view from the sink. Gorgeous. Almost makes washing dishes bearable.

    Who do you order seeds from? I have tried my hand at growing grapes over and over. They grow all over this region except in my yard. Would like to try a little raised bed with some herbs, squash, pumpkin this year. Hope your garden takes off when the time comes.

    Enjoy those Shirley T. movies. I would like to show my little Lucia a clip of that little doll dancing years ago. She was a spunky one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not far from North Dakota or Montana or Wyoming. We have gotten our seeds from RH Shumways for the last several years. We've watched 2 of the movies & they were more interesting than I thought they would be.

      Delete