Friday, July 12, 2024

Happenings on the Homestead in the Appalachian Mountains

Weekend Coffee Share

Hello there Adventurous Friends & Family, greetings from Georgia. How you doing this 28th week of 2024?  It's a very pleasant 63 degrees here this Friday morning as I'm planning a picnic for the weekend while we're out on the lake trying out a new fishing spots. The asiatic lilies are blooming. I thought for sure that I would miss seeing their blooms back at the beginning of June while I was out in the mid-west. The flower buds have taken their sweet time to open up & show their beauty. I picked more green beans & put them up in the freezer. I plan to make blackberry jelly next week. I've had an enjoyable week spending time with a couple of the teen Grands. I also enjoyed indulging in more sweet treats & snacks since last week I mentioned how I'd cut back on such things. Kevin got the pond dug & has been working on that project for the last couple of weeks. Grab a coffee or your favorite beverage & let's go see the pond & see if it's filled up with enough water after all the rain we've had this week...



Here is Kevin scratching around in the dirt in the beginning stages of
getting the shape of the pond started.


*  We saw a little damage from several of the thunderstorms that have come through in the last couple of weeks. We didn't have any damage on our place this time, thank goodness, but just up the road there was a tree that fell across the road. Just outside of town, a tree fell on the lake beach pavilion.

We walked up there & offered our help using
the chain saw & tractor. The county crew 
was there moments later to clean it up.

 
The tree was still down at the beach when
we went there to have a picnic & swim. I 
drove by a couple days later & the tree
was all cleaned up. 

Yay! (Clap! Clap!) The spring is overflowing into the pond like it's supposed to. 
The water will clear up when it settles. Kevin plans to put mulch around the 
edges & plant flowers. 

We made milkshakes using frozen
yogurt along with the peaches
  I had got at the produce stand &
 strawberries from the garden. 
Hopefully a healthier version
 of yumminess!
 
 *  I came in 3rd place in the triathlon of games with Grands, just my luck. It was all fun & games till... I was the looser of all the games, not on purpose either. I tried
to be very ladylike & have good sportsmanship though it was difficult to keep my composure at times when they wanted 27 do overs & I got one.  I gave the boys tips for proper card playing etiquette just in case they go on to be professional players one day.

Putt putt golf - Just look at how close
my ball came to going in for par.




Phase 10 - Which one should I
give the skip to?
 
Guess which one I got? 

Trouble = More snacks.


These are some of the things that's been going on in my neck of the woods, how has your week been?


Unfortunately, the pond didn't
keep holding the water. Hopefully
when the dirt & mud shifts around,
it will plug whatever hole is
letting the water out.




2 comments:

  1. You might need a pond liner:) Looks like you had a fun week with your Grands and cool treats too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very cool that you guys are creating a POND!! I love it. The water did clear up a lot like you said it would, like Kevin said it would. I'm sorry the water 'leaked?' out. Hope the mud and muck plug the hole and you soon have it all fixed up. Can't wait to see the flowers growing around it.

    All of those frozen treats look scrumptious. Ice cream is probably my greatest weakness. I am sure you enjoyed every bite.

    ReplyDelete