Sunday, May 31, 2020

Sunday morning more bird watching, walk with me.

All 4 robin eggs hatched.


Then there was a feeding frenzy.


Bird watching & apple pie or is it baseball?  Daughter added in a touch of 
a baseball theme in her upcoming wedding since her future husband is a 
baseball fan & youth coach.  The touches are creative & sporty, just as
she is.  She got her looks from her Moma & her brains from her daddy.
Kevin made this pie & I helped him eat it.


The robins have grackle neighbors. 
  

All 5 eggs hatched best I can tell.


Mother grackle waiting till I leave to bring in the food.  The male  
helps bring in nesting materials then guards the nest while female
 feeds or he pairs up with a second female & leaves the mother
to raise the young alone.


There is a bird up there in that tree just sitting there 
looking at me standing here looking at it.


A flock of finches hung around for a couple days feasting
 on the dandelions.  It seems these birds nest later in the
summer when there is thistle to feed their young.


See those finches down in amongst the grass?  It was kinda
hard to see the birds since they blended in so well 
with the dandelions.


I've seen this feller or gal out & about while I've been
walking & bird watching.


Tree swallows moved into the nest box Kevin recently built & 
put up out at the garden.  One of the swallow's favorite foods 
is supposed to be mosquitos....Yeeepeee!


The male swallow hanging out while the female builds the nest.  It  could take her 
a month but hopefully just 2 or 3 weeks.  Kevin saw her carrying a feather into the 
box.  I saw the birds mating right there on that roost Kevin made.  Egg laying starts
about a week after mating.  The male will help feed the young when they hatch.



Ducks in the wet weather pond also known as a pot hole
in these parts. The water is slowing drying up.


I spotted the lone town turkey up in the field.  There used
to be about 8 of them that roamed the neighborhood.


One of the best parts of bird watching has been watching & waiting 
for the lilac blooms to pop open so I could stop & smell the lilacs.
MMMmmmm, sweet fragrance.


I'll continue watching the birds & let you know how it goes.  Kevin discovered a bird nest & that's what got me started watching these birds. What's out your backdoor & beyond?  Onward to June.

No comments:

Post a Comment